Parents Association Committee AGM
St Brigid’s Primary School, Moate, Co. Westmeath
Meeting Date: 25/09/2022 Time: 20:00 Location: School Hall
Attendance: C. Gillivan; A. Brown, A Deegan, M Nugent, A. Wingfield Bastic, C Simpson, S. Bennett, B. Joseph, E Cearra L. Ishola, E. Doyle, S. Mellett.
Apologies: S Kiernan
- Principal’s Address and welcome, a special welcome to parents new to school. Gratitude expressed to all for the support during the past year. A special mention to outgoing members of the Parents Association and also those who are no longer parents in the school.
- New Committee elected:
- Chairperson: Avril Wingfield Bastic
- Secretary: Elaine Doyle
- Treasurer: Sandra Julian Mellett
- Activities for coming year discussed Swimming; Music lessons, – PA discussed a number of additional activities for the children that could also be good
- Calendar of events for 2023/2024
- School Photographer Monday 2nd October – Feedback last year on packages for siblings was provided to county photos.
- Cash4Clothes – Saturday 21st October
- Halloween parade will take place Friday 27th October – all kids will receive a treat bag (goodies to be purchased locally)
- Army Band for Christmas will be arranged date TBC – PA to arrange tea/coffee sandwiches.
- Christmas Raffle – format to be decided.
- World Book Day
- Holy Communion Party
- Fun Run
Other ideas were suggested for alternative events: –
- Disco for Kids – Pastoral centre / School Hall
- Table Quiz in 2024
- Cinema Night – Summertime
- Pancake Breakfast
- Book Fare
- Non-Uniform Day – decide on local charities ask parents to suggest their charities and the most popular receive the donations this year and next year look at other charities on a rotation basis.
- Tidy Towns Plant & Sow. Each child would sow a plant which can be planted in the town.
- Children’s Christmas Carol Services in December will take place this year date confirmed 14th December 2023
- Santa will visit the school this year – date to be confirmed.
- Treasury Report – Balance provided and an update on expenses during the previous school year such as Lego workshop, Basketball, Dance class etc. Some equipment was purchased during the year to replace old toys. Book tokens for world book day etc. Contribution to the photographer for first Holy Communion.
The PA will look at donations to Charities such as: –
- Crumlin Childrens Hospital Wish List – To be Confirmed.
- Food Bank donations.
- Design a Christmas Card.
- Easter Chicks
- The school need sensory equipment. CG will revert to the PA.
All expenses by the PA go through the school secretary Gladys Mitchell.
- CG mentioned the new prefabricated room which should be open by Halloween.
- Traffic Congestion – continues to be a huge concern. Cars that mount the footpath and are a serious danger to all children. Suggestion that there is an incentive for Children to walk to school or stagger start times similar to post Covid procedures – Juniors and Seniors at different start and finish times.
- PA Membership fee is €75 plus insurance, total €275.
With no further business the meeting ended.