Our school, formerly known as the Convent Primary School, started out as a two roomed building in 1861 which was run by the Sisters of Mercy. There were just 60 pupils then. In two years the number had risen to 300 and by the year 1906 the large two storey Primary School was built.
In the 1970s extra rooms were added. Later on the PE hall was built. In the 1990s developments included the extension of the staffroom and the building of the car park. Trusteeship of the school was transferred from the Mercy Sisters to the Diocese of Ardagh and Clonmacnoise on 1st February 2011 and the school was renamed as St. Brigid’s Primary School.